Traveling is already a pain in the ass but traveling with a baby is a whole new level! Not only do you have more stuff than anyone could possibly imagine, it quickly becomes very clear that timing really is everything. Here are my top ten pieces of advice for those getting on an airplane with their sweet little spawn:
10) Bring the boppy on the plane. It may seem excessive but it’s actually extremely helpful.
9) Give yourself plenty of time by arriving at the airport earlier than usual. I can’t reiterate this enough – timing is everything.
8) Window seats are a good idea – your baby may love looking outside which is a nice distraction for them. Fleet definitely liked the window!
7) Although it’s nice that kids get to fly for free until age two, getting a seat for the baby is helpful in certain circumstances. On the way to North Carolina, my mother was with us so (between three adults and Fleet) we had the whole row and it was fine trading laps. On the way back to Colorado, it was just the two of us and the baby so we purchased the middle seat and it was a lifesaver. Airplanes are constantly getting smaller (extra legroom on some planes is a joke) and you will have a lot of stuff. Also, some people are helpful when they see a person with a baby and some people are not. Keep that in mind.
6) As everyone says, feeding at take off and landing is ideal.
5) Bring extra of everything – diapers, wipes, formula, water, and outfits. Also, packing soft books that are usually meant for the bath are great and take up less space!
4) You can take bottled water through security but TSA checks everything – especially wipes, formula, and water. Sometimes this process is fast and sometimes people move at a glacial pace which is why #9 is so important.
3) There are in fact changing tables in the airplane bathroom – I had never noticed before!
2) Checking the stroller and car seat at the gate makes things easier and it’s free!
1) If you’re able to, fly direct. One up + one down = fewer chances of delays and therefore a better travel experience for everyone.
Love this!!! Fleet is now officially ready to visit Miami.
Yeah! Thank you for reading!
Good ideas!….many of which your Mom and I used❤️
Thanks for reading!
My guess is Fleet will be a pro at flying before he can even say “Dona”.
<3 <3 <3